Based in Vancouver and Amman, PeaceGeeks is a nonprofit organization that builds digital tools to empower communities in the pursuit of peace. We operate on the principle of inspiring local action to solve local problems, with a vision to make peace a lived reality for everyone. Check us out here: https://peacegeeks.org/
In March 2017, PeaceGeeks won the Google.org Impact Challenge in Canada, allowing us to launch the Arrival Advisor project, to build an app that will help newcomers in Canada to access information and services to strengthen their settlement experience and integration success. Arrival Advisor is developed in partnership and consultation with newcomers, settlement organization leadership and frontline settlement workers across Metro Vancouver. The app will be first piloted for use by newcomers and settlement workers in Vancouver, where newcomers account for 40% of the population. Arrival Advisor will initially serve municipalities across the Metro Vancouver area, with plans to scale to British Columbia and across Canada. Learn more about Arrival Advisor: https://peacegeeks.org/arrival-advisor
PeaceGeeks is now hiring for an Event Coordinator to plan for the Arrival Advisor Launch Party, scheduled to be held in mid-March 2019 (approximately 75 – 100 attendees). Tentative date options are March 12, 13, or 15. Time of event will be ~5 to 9 PM. Reporting to Community Outreach and Engagement Coordinator, the Event Coordinator plans and manages logistics and all aspects related to the successful execution of the Launch Party.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute all event details related to the Arrival Advisor Launch Party
- Secure appropriate venue, catering, AV, and other required vendors
- Coordinate with vendors and stakeholders during event planning and on the day of
- Work with Community Outreach and Engagement Coordinator to recruit volunteers, finalize event agenda, communicate with RSVPs and invitees, and manage any media/press appearances
- Monitor and manage RSVPs, adjust event requirements as necessary
- Set up and manage event online pages (eg. Facebook, Eventbrite) and work with Communications Coordinator to execute the drafting of copy for promoting the event
- Plan and coordinate event program, guests, speakers, any presentations and Arrival Advisor marketing materials (e.g. banners, brochures, rack cards, etc.) as required
- Manage and oversee event on the day of, including problem-solving, directing set-up and take-down, communicating with staff and volunteers, and organizing vendors
- Build and adhere to the event budget to avoid cost overruns
- Ensure all invoices related to the event are received before March 25th and paid in a timely manner
- Conduct event debrief and manage event planning documentation
Successful candidates should have many of the following:
- Minimum of two years’ experience in planning events in the non-profit sector preferred
- A proactive self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Extremely organized and detail oriented
- Exceptional interpersonal and team skills
- Strong ability to set priorities, solve problems, and be resourceful under pressure
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential
- Experience working with social media, Eventbrite or event hosting sites, and Salesforce or CRM software are desirable
- Experience in the settlement sector
Time Commitment & Start Date
5-10 hours a week from Feb 18th to March 19th. The event is during the week of March 11-15th. You should be available to attend the event and on they days before the event to manage logistics.
HiVE co-working space in Vancouver in the vibrant neighborhood of Gastown (128 West Hastings Street).
Salary range is $25-$30 per hour for a maximum of 45 hours and will be determined based on relevant experience.