PeaceGeeks is a non-profit organization that builds digital tools to empower communities in the pursuit of peace. We are based in Vancouver, Canada, and Amman, Jordan.
We have a number of projects in motion, funded by the Government of Canada and Google.org Canada. These projects include the development of an app for newcomers to Canada called Arrival Advisor, and a community initiative in Jordan working to combat polarization online.
More info at peacegeeks.org.
PeaceGeeks is looking for a Research Officer (contractor position) for two projects. One is Snapp, a pilot project that matches newcomers to skilled professionals for employment advice. In this role, the Research Officer will be responsible for evaluating, analyzing, and performing knowledge translation of user experience (UX) research findings from our pilot project, in order to deliver recommendations for the future service design and product design of Snapp.
The second project is the Feedback module and Information Management of the Arrival Advisor application. In this position, the Research Officer will be responsible for evaluating the comments from the users, the quality of the feedback and how the information management practices can be improved and if necessary, work with SPOs to gather insight by conducting surveys or interviews.
The Research Officer will be processing and extracting findings from usability tests, user interviews, surveys, and other methods. They will be responsible for compiling these insights into research artifacts and deliverables, including presentation(s) and report(s), to be presented to our staff, project stakeholders (partners and organizations in the settlement sector), our funder (Immigration, Refugees, Citizenship Canada), and the public.
Depending on the stage of the research, the Research Officer may also be asked to help coordinate studies, and acquire and record data.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Interpret user and usability research, such as: surveys, interviews, ethnography, usability tests on interactive prototypes, and other mixed methods
- Translate research findings into impactful and actionable insights and recommendations for a variety of audiences
- Review data to ensure completeness and accuracy of information; follow up with subjects or review recordings to resolve problems or clarify data collected
- Compile data for progress reports
- Attend meetings and help the team with administrative and additional tasks as needed
- Create accessible and relevant research artifacts, including but not limited to: blog article(s), presentation(s), and report(s)
- Support with presenting findings to stakeholders
- Maintain accurate records of interviews and notes, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects as necessary
- Create a handover plan
- Education (completed or in progress) or experience in research, UX, sociology, psychology, English, journalism, or related field
- Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills and knowledge of when and why to apply them
- Competence writing reports
- Excellent presentation skills and storytelling abilities; ability to make your research findings clear and easy to digest
- Comfortable with data compilation and analysis
- Experience conducting interviews
- Understanding of the user-centered and/or service design process including personas, customer journeys, service blueprint, task flow
- Experience transcribing interviews and analysing transcriptions
- Comfortable adapting to a constantly changing work environment
- Comfortable working in teams, individually or remotely
- Consistently looks for ways to help support the different operational functions
- Excellent people skills and courteous phone etiquette
- Creative, detailed and analytical thinker
- Takes initiative and can start and complete tasks with basic direction
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Effective communication and organization skills
Nice to Have
- Visual design skills (ability to design reports/research artifacts)
- Familiarity working within an Agile design process
- Experience with software development, analytics
- Fundraising and events experience
- Experience with Google Drive, Slack, Salesforce
Hours and Compensation
Start Date: January 4, 2021 (at the earliest)
Duration: Estimated less than 3 months
Hours of Work: In this contractor position, hours will be determined by the available work
Compensation: To be determined based on work and experience.
Please specify any desired hourly expectation in your cover letter.
- Gain experience and insight on the impact of tech on peacebuilding work in developing, non-democratic and conflict-affected places
- Attain practical knowledge and exposure to nonprofit management and program execution
- Collaborate and network with our diverse and amazing team of volunteers
- Personal and professional development, mentorship and learning in other areas of the organization
- Flexible work hours and ability to work from home
Please apply by Tuesday, December 22, 2020
Consideration of applications will begin immediately.
PeaceGeeks is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embracing and building a team that represents a variety of cultures, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. As with our mission to promote safe and peaceful communities, we at PeaceGeeks believe that diversity and inclusion make us stronger, whether that’s in our staff or in the communities where we work.