Based in Vancouver and Amman, PeaceGeeks is a nonprofit organization that builds digital tools to empower communities in the pursuit of peace. We operate on the principle of inspiring local action to solve local problems, with a vision to make peace a lived reality for everyone.
PeaceGeeks has several projects in motion, including an app funded by the Google.org Impact Challenge that fast-tracks refugees and immigrants in Canada on a pathway to successful resettlement with a personalized directory of settlement services, as well as a capacity building program funded by Global Affairs Canada that supports artists, activists and youth in Jordan to respond to hate and violence in online spaces.
Learn about us at: peacegeeks.org
PeaceGeeks is now hiring for multiple Translation & Quality Assurance Contractors to continue developing the app in the following languages: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), French, Korean, Punjabi, and Tagalog. To be considered, please specify which language(s) you are applying for in your cover letter.
You will be translating and performing quality assurance for the Arrival Advisor app and website. Funded by the Google.org Impact Challenge, Arrival Advisor is a free multilingual mobile application that assists newcomers in finding information and settlement services in British Columbia. Many newcomers struggle to adapt to a new way of life and feel overwhelmed with everything they must accomplish to get their lives in order. Canada provides resources to assist newcomers with their settlement, but they often go unused due to lack of awareness. Arrival Advisor is designed to help newcomers by acting as a settlement guide so that users can easily access information around what to do and where to go. The app was launched in March 2019.
The Things You Love Doing
Reporting to the Arrival Advisor Project Manager, the Translation & QA Contractors are responsible for the following:
- Translating texts for the app, website, and marketing materials, including but not limited to: legal disclaimers, privacy policies, copy and content, and UI strings
- Migrating translated texts from one file format to another
- QA of translated contents of the app, website, and marketing materials
- Implementation of changes to translated materials
- Usage of tools specifically designed for the product (including working with the beta app)
- Responsiveness and sense of ownership
- Flexibility and capacity to work under time pressure
- Excellent communication skills
- Motivation and eagerness to learn
- Desire to be part of a fast-paced not-for-profit organization working to effect local change and community development
The Things You Bring To Us
- Fluency in specified language including grammar, sentence structure, spelling, and stylistic nuances
- Strong proficiency in English
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office Programs (Word and Excel)
- Professional freelance translation or QA experience in one of the target languages
- Experience working under deadlines
- Strong independent working skills
- Ability to work in partnership with other freelancers and PeaceGeeks employees
- Familiarity with not for profit, immigration sector, or community organisations an asset
- A demonstrated interest and awareness in world issues an asset
- Impacting a purposeful project that will impact the entire organization and its local and global partners
- Collaborating and networking with our stakeholders and amazing team of volunteers
- Personal and professional development, with possibilities for mentorship and learning in other areas of the organization
- Playing an instrumental role in a fast growing non-profit organization and shaping our storytellilng approach
- Gaining practical experience and insight on the impact of tech on peacebuilding
Position Start Date + Time Commitment
This is an hourly based contract that is expected to start and continue on an ad hoc basis, as the PeaceGeeks team continues to develop new features and add/edit contents of the app and the website. Time commitment will be between 3-6 hours per week on an ad hoc basis.
The Translation & QA Contractor may work remotely or in any available space at the PeaceGeeks offices at the HiVE co-working space in Vancouver in the vibrant neighborhood of Gastown (128 West Hastings Street).
Online meetings will be scheduled with PeaceGeeks to follow up on progress and collaborate on next steps.
Please provide your rate per hour in your cover letter.
Invoicing will be made out to PeaceGeeks.