Who We Are
PeaceGeeks is a non-profit organization that builds digital tools to empower communities in the pursuit of peace. We are based in Vancouver, Canada, and Amman, Jordan.
We have a number of projects in motion, funded by the Governments of Canada and British Columbia, and Google.org Canada. These projects include the development of an app for newcomers to Canada, and a community initiative in Jordan working to combat polarization online.
Who We Are Looking For
PeaceGeeks is seeking a Junior Developer intern to work on features for the Arrival Advisor app. For more information about the Arrival Advisor project, please visit peacegeeks.org/arrival-advisor
The Arrival Advisor app is implemented Typescript on React Native for deployment on both iOS and Android. The server is written in Python on Django, using PostgreSQL. PeaceGeeks uses Expo for development, Travis for CI and Heroku for deployment. PeaceGeeks works agile with emphasis on test driven development.
You will work closely with the Senior Developer, UX Designer and Project Manager and the Senior Developer and will be responsible for the following:
- Work closely with the Designer to create prototypes for new projects or features.
- Triage QA issues, fix bugs, identify and fix UX and content issues.
- Help the team make informed decisions related to the management of content in seven languages and UX design for those languages.
- Collaborate with other members of the full stack agile team to understand user requirements and plan, prioritize, estimate, implement, test and deploy features in the app.
- Create documentation for current and new processes and tools.
- Occasionally attend user testing sessions in house and with our community partners.
- Other related duties as required
- Recent Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience within a team environment
- Experience working with mixed left-to-right/right-to-left text an asset
- Strong communications skills
- Experience with software design, test driven development an asset
- Ability to read and write a secondary language other than English an asset
- Experience with Natural Language Processing (NLP) would be an asset but is not required
- Gaining practical experience working on projects with multinational teams
- Receiving mentorship through the PeaceGeeks Technical Advisory Committee and broad volunteer network
- Learning about relevant contemporary international peace and security issues, especially as they related to technology
- Making an impactful contribution to peacebuilding in developing, non-democratic and conflict-affected regions, and to socio-political cohesion here in Canada
- Collaborating and networking with an amazing group of volunteers and community leaders
- Building and interacting with a growing open source developer community
- Working with open source tools and open data for social good projects
- Working with other non-profit organizations and international institutions on projects that have similar or complementary objectives
The Junior Developer intern will work from the PeaceGeeks offices at the HiVE co-working space in Vancouver in the vibrant neighborhood of Gastown.
This is a full-time position for 4-6 months, starting immediately. We are open to part-time for the right candidate.
This position is partly funded by the VCN Digital Skills for Youth program under the Career Focus Stream. Applicants must satisfy the following conditions to be eligible:
- Between the ages of 15 to 30 (inclusive).
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada and be legally entitled to work in Canada